Thursday, October 2, 2014

My time in the Mad Crochet Lab

On September 17th, I was part of a group of 20 crocheters invited into the famed Mad Crochet Lab. We were to have two weeks to fix a problem plaguing a large portion of the population.

It seems that many were missing their fun gene and went onto become grouches, sobs, and not so fun to hang around anymore. But how were we to fix that? We didn't know how to replicate the fun gene. Hell, we didn't even know what it looked like!

We did discover what happened to the genes. It would seem that some uneducated gnomes took to wearing them as jeans and rendered unusable to their human hosts. It took a lot of work isolating the genes  without  having to see gnome butt. However, we accomplished it!

It took a lot of work and time. To be honest, I slacked off until the last minute so many of my fellow cro-scientists carved my way. Sadly, school and my day job got in my way of actively working on the experiment. Darn double test days. :/

We also lost some of our colleagues a long of the way so only 17 of us remained at the end.

To really get a sense for how our experiment went, view the official Mad Crochet Lab report.



I ended up discovering an Austrian mountain gene gnome. It's a very unique strand and was a little trickier to isolate. Those skinny jeans were tiiiiight! Luckily her apron kept her safe from many of the chemicals used in the lab.

We were allowed to take our little gene gnomes home with us after the experiment. My little GG, as I've come to call her, has found a nest of her own. 

Overall, I enjoyed my time spent in the Mad Crochet Lab with my colleagues. A lot of us were in good humor and it was in no way a 'serious' environment. I'm happy to know I will be invited back for another experiment and I eagerly await that chance. Mad is such an awesome person to work with and knows how to entertain a group. I'm really glad I signed up for this opportunity.

I think she might be working on releasing the pattern for the gnomes on her website. When that happens, I will link ya'll through my Facebook page.

Until then, happy crafting!
Bertie

1 comment:

  1. Great write-up! It's nice to read it from your viewpoint! I think I'm going to link to your blogpost from mine! :) Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete